Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thank You for Spell Check!

Going through life as a bad speller isn't easy. Of all things to be bad at, spelling is definitely at the top of the list. I feel that we are our own breed. The maker uppers! When all else fails and you don't know how to spell a word, make it up. Even as I write this post now, little red dotted lines scatter under words periodically to remind me that yes you are a bad speller, and you don't know how to spell this.
Going through my journalism 410 class, which is a capstone class for my major I am learning just how bad of a speller I really am. But they say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Well their is no need for bad spellers anonymous, I know I can't spell and I'm saying it out loud! 
As far back as I can remember I have been a bad speller, I think that is why I chose to be a journalism student. I know, your asking why are you going into a profession that is all about writing when you don't know how to spell, but I figured in journalism their is always an editor. Its like having an English teacher to look over your papers for life. But this does not come with out consequences.  
You take the risk of looking dumb for not spelling their there and they're wrong and having to spend twice as long on a paper as the average writer. 
Just like years before this class I was a bad speller and Im sure I will not become a walking dictionary any time soon but to all those who can not spell worth anything keep your heads up, we have spell check and we can use it to the fullest!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment